Production Environment

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Laharsub is working great for me on a local development machine.  It's working really fast as a windows service for publishing market depth and time and sales.   I am interested in moving the service to a production environment that I have control over and will be live on the Web.   Do you think Laharsub is ready for this?  I am interested to hear what you think may need to be done in order to get it ready for a production release.   I'd be happy to make some of the changes if necessary.  Thanks, I think this is a great product you are working on.

Coordinator
Sep 11, 2010 at 6:27 PM

sdowd,

I have not done enough testing and stabilization of Laharsub yet to feel comfortable recommending its use in production environments. In particular, performance and stress testing are two areas that still require work. In fact, I have been investigating and making performance improvements in the dev branch since the last Alpha release 2010.07.25. I plan to make another release with these improvements as well as documentation of performance measurements to help set expectations.

Having said that, I am not aware of the existence of any particular blocking issues that would prevent Laharsub from being used in production at this time. If you plan to jump in, I would recommend conducting performance and stress testing representative of your expected load and messaging patterns to see if the system performs a expected. Results under load in a cross-machine environment are surely going to be different from results on a development machine wihout much load. If you encounter any issues, I would appreciate it if you could report them and I will see if I can be of help resolving them.

Thanks
Tomek

Oct 14, 2010 at 5:48 PM

The big issue for me is browser compatibility.

One of the virtues of Silverlight is that you don't have to worry about browser compatibility.  I don't suppose Tomek (as talented as he seems to be) has the means to test all six browsers:

http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/get-started/install/default.aspx#

I'm happy to be told otherwise: I'm looking for an excuse to use Laharsub in case DuplexPollingHttpBinary doesn't scale.

Coordinator
Oct 15, 2010 at 7:25 AM
Edited Oct 15, 2010 at 7:26 AM

Phil,

Laharsub currently has three client implementations: for Silverlight, for jQuery, and for .NET.

Given that Laharsub uses the HTTP support built into Silverlight and does not rely on any browser-specific functionality beyond Silverlight, it can leverage the extensive cross-browser testing the Silverlight platform itself received. In other words, there is no need for testing the Laharsub client for Silverlight on various browsers as long as you are ready to bet on the Silverlight platform itself. Similar argument applies to the Laharsub client for jQuery, where jQuery strives to be an abstraction of browser differences for making AJAX calls, among other useful features. Having said that, I normally run tests on Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome.

If you are interested in scaling out the PollingDuplexHttpBinding in Silverlight, you may want to check out my blog post on that very topic at http://tomasz.janczuk.org/2009/09/scale-out-of-silverlight-http-polling.html. Please note the mechanism described there is relevant only to the SingleMessagePerPoll mode (which was the only mode available as of Silverlight 3). The MultipleMessagesPerPoll mode added in Silverlight 4 would be substantially harder to scale out. The MultipleMessagePerPoll mode is similar in principle to the subscription multiplexing feature of Laharsub that increases throughput and decreases network utilization and latency.

Thanks,
Tomek